• Most typical blood type• many transfused blood type• deserve to be provided to most patients• totality blood and dual red cell necessary most
9% the the U.S. Populace has O- blood
• global red blood cabinet donor• deserve to be given to all patients• can only obtain O- blood• whole blood and dual red cells required most
30% of the U.S. Population has A+ blood
• Tremendous need for A+ platelets• 2nd most common blood type• think about platelet pheresis together the best way to help
6% of the U.S. Population has A- blood
• rare blood type• Donate entirety blood or automatically red cells• Plasma and also platelet pheresis are likewise needed
9% the the U.S. Population has B+ blood
• have the right to donate just to B+ and also AB+ patients• deserve to receive many blood types• Donate platelets, plasma and also red cells
2% of the U.S. Population has B- blood
• an extremely rare blood type• Donate entirety blood or automatic red cells• Plasma and platelet pheresis are likewise needed
4% of the U.S. Populace has AB+ blood
• really rare blood type• deserve to donate only to AB+ patients• universal Plasma donor• Plasma and also platelet pheresis is the best means to help
1% the the U.S. Population has AB- blood
• Rarest of blood types• deserve to donate just to ab patients• universal Plasma donor• Plasma and platelet pheresis is the best means to help
Blood is a living tissue written of blood cells suspended in plasma.
You are watching: How many cc in a unit of blood
The to move elements, red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets – make up about 45% of the volume of totality blood. Plasma, i m sorry is 92% water, makes up the remaining 55%.
The average adult has actually 8 – 12 pints of blood traveling anywhere his or she body v the heart, lungs, arteries, veins and also capillaries. Blood is an important part of ours bodies the transports oxygen, nutrients, and also metabolic waste. In enhancement to all that, blood performs this functions:Replenishes oxygen and removes carbon dioxideDistributes necessary nutrients come cellsCarries far metabolic waste products for disposalRecognizes antigens (foreign substances) and produces antibodies (immune defense mechanisms)Clots cuts, wounds and also scratches to prevent bleeding
How is blood used?
Blood and also its components have plenty of uses.
Hospitals stock several of the more common blood components used in emergencies, but usually blood assets are not ordered until they are needed. Castle are preserved at the Rock flow Valley Blood facility until a hospital orders them.
Red cells deserve to be provided for 42 work after they room donated. Castle are supplied in the treatment of accident victims, to change blood lost throughout surgery, to treat burn victims and to boost the blood’s oxygen-carrying capacity. They are additionally used in the treatment of anemia that can’t be medically corrected.
Platelets room stored separate from other components and must be offered in the five days following the donation. They are commonly used to treat bone marrow failure, leukemia and cancer patients, low platelet count or other problems causing abnormally to work platelets.
Plasma has a much much longer shelf life and is frequently frozen for later on use. When thawed, plasma is used during cardiac surgery, for burn victims, and also to act bleeding disorders. Because that example, bleeding obstacle can occur in liver failure, when too much of a blood thinner has been provided or once severe bleeding and massive transfusions an outcome in low levels of clotting factors.
Plasma is frequently used to do therapies because that bleeding disorders:
Factor VII concentration is supplied in the treatment and also prevention that bleeding episodes.
Factor VIII concentrate and cryoprecipitate are offered by patients through hemophilia A (classic hemophilia), which is brought about by a deficiency of element VIII. Cryoprecipitate is prepared from plasma and contains fibrinogen, von Willebrand factor, aspect VIII, element XIII and fibronectin.
Factor IX concentration is offered by patients with hemophilia B (“Christmas disease”), which is led to by a deficiency that clotting aspect IX.
A transfusion is a procedure that replaces the blood lost by a patient with the blood the a generous donor like you!
After you give your blood, while you’re snacking on cookies and also showing off your eight wrap, your blood starts its trip to conserve lives! v one donation, girlfriend can help save as plenty of as as much as 3 lives. No wonder ugandan-news.com donors and volunteers feeling so amazing. And, who ever thought conserving lives might be this easy?
01. anyone in good health, at least 17 year old (or 16 years old through parental consent – click right here for consent form), and at the very least 110 pounds might donate entirety blood every 56 days.02. 4.5 million American resides are saved every year by blood transfusions.03. 40,000 pints of donated blood are provided each work in the united States.04. Someone requirements blood every 2 seconds.
06. as much as 3 resides are saved by one pint of donated blood.07. in between 8-12 pints of blood room in the body of an average adult.08. One unit the blood is ~525 mL, i beg your pardon is roughly the identical of one pint.09. A newborn infant has around one cup that blood in his body.10. The average transfusion patience receives 3 systems of red blood cells.11. A, B, abdominal muscle and O are the four main types of blood types. Ab is the global recipient, O negative is the global donor.12. Blood centers often run quick of varieties O and also B blood.
14. The yes, really blood donation usually takes much less than ten minutes. The entire procedure from the moment you authorize in to the time you leaving takes about an hour.15. providing blood will certainly not decrease her strength.
17. Red blood cells carry oxygen to the body’s organs and tissue.18. There are one billion red blood cell in 2 to three drops that blood.19. Platelets assistance blood clotting and give those through leukemia and also other cancers a opportunity to live.20. The shelf life of donated red blood cell is 42 days.21. The shelf life the donated platelets is five days.22. auto accident and blood loss victims may need transfusions of 50 pints or more of red blood cells.
24. serious burn victims may need 20 systems of platelets during their treatment.25. youngsters being treated for cancer, premature infants and children having actually heart surgery need blood and platelets from donors of all types.26. Cancer, transplant and trauma patients, and patients experience open-heart surgery regularly require platelet transfusions come survive.27. 500,000 americans donated blood in the days complying with the September 11th attacks.
28. 94% of blood donors are registered voters.29. Bone marrow transplant patients have the right to use up to 120 platelets and red blood cells from around 20 people.
See more: Primary 5 Lesson 5 Combo: Doctrine And Covenants: Lessons 5, Lesson 5: Joseph Smith Receives The Gold Plates
30. 17% that non-donors mention “never thought around it” together the main reason for no giving, while 15% to speak they’re also busy. The #1 reason donors speak they offer is due to the fact that they “want to aid others.”